Vegetation Treatment Program Environmental Impact Report (VTPEIR)
January 2016 Workshop
- Vegetation Treatment Program Programmatic Environmental Impact Report (VTPEIR) Workshop/Consultation - January 26, 2016 (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM)
Revised Preliminary EIR
The Vegetation Treatment Program EIR has been revised to reflect changes requested at the scoping workshops/consultations held throughout fall 2015. Please see below for the January 2016 draft of the Preliminary Draft VTP EIR.
Preliminary Draft VTP EIR January 2016 Subscribe
The Board of Forestry and Fire Protection (Board) will host another public consultation workshop at its December meeting to evaluate the preliminary draft of the Vegetation Treatment Program Environmental Impact Report (VTP EIR). After the consultation workshop, the Board may decide to take action to release the document for public comment under CEQA. For more information please download the December 2015 Agenda.
The workshop/consultation is scheduled for:
Tuesday, December 8, 1 PM
Natural Resources Auditorium
1416 9th Street, First Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
The workshop will be broadcast via webinar. Register here for the Vegetation Treatment Program Programmatic Environmental Impact Report (VTPEIR) Workshop/Consultation.
Revised Notice of Preparation and Scoping Meeting
Given the passage of time, the Board is updating and revising the Notice of Preparation (NOP) for this PEIR to seek input from responsible and trustee agencies and other interested parties regarding the scope and content of the environmental information to be included in the PEIR, and to ensure accurate information is contained in the public notices relating to this PEIR. In accordance with section 21080.3 of the Public Resources Code, the Board will be conducting a scoping meeting:
Tuesday, October 27, 10:30 AM
Natural Resources Auditorium
1416 9th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Please see the Revised Notice of Preparation for information on submitting public comment related to this Revised Notice.
Written Comments Received in Response to the Revised Notice of Preparation Subscribe
Vegetation Treatment Program
In 2014, the California Fire Science Consortium was commissioned to review the previously proposed Vegetation Treatment Program Environmental Impact Report, and they developed recommendations for improving the document and proposed program. A CAL FIRE workgroup has completed a comprehensive revision of the Preliminary Draft Vegetation Treatment Program Programmatic Environmental Impact Report (VTPEIR) based on those recommendations and other identified areas for improvement. The preliminary draft document has been provided to the Board of Forestry and Fire Protection for their review and revision and will be released for public comment under CEQA. Please bookmark this website to check back for updates on public comment opportunities.
The purpose of an EIR is to provide the public with information about whether a specific project (or in this case a Program of projects) might cause a significant effect to the environment. A Program EIR may be prepared on a series of actions that can be characterized as one large project and are related to, among other things, the issuance of general criteria to govern the conduct of a continuing program or individual activities carried out under the same authorizing statutory or regulatory authority and having generally similar environmental effects that can be mitigated in similar ways. This Program EIR, prepared according to the State CEQA Guidelines, California Code of Regulations (CCR) Section 15168, provides an environmental analysis framework for vegetation treatment projects that abate fuel hazard on SRA lands and supports federal and local non-SRA fuel reduction projects.
Describing the environmental consequences of a program across a landscape of the scale being proposed is a difficult task that does not lend itself to brevity. The workgroup has strived to balance a thorough environmental analysis with concise writing so as to not overwhelm the reader, but this Programmatic EIR is over 1,000 pages.
Because of the challenge to reviewing a document of this size, we provide the following guide to readers:
- The Executive Summary provides the reader with the framework for the proposed VTP and an overview for ease of understanding.
- A guide to Acronyms and Abbreviations and a Glossary of Terms is provided at the beginning of the document for ease of understanding.
- Chapter 1 discusses the purpose and need for the program, regulatory framework for the program, and current setting.
- Chapter 2 discussed the proposed Vegetation Treatment Program in depth.
- Chapter 3 explains the Alternatives considered under this Program EIR.
- Chapter 4 examines the affected environment and environmental impacts of the proposed VTP, as well as any mitigations that reduce environmental impacts.
- Chapter 5 discusses cumulative environmental impacts from the proposed VTP.
- Chapter 6 describes the significant environmental effects of the proposed VTP and any growth-inducing impacts.
- Chapter 7 contains the “Project Scale Analysis,” or PSA, which is the CEQA Environmental Checklist equivalent.
- Chapter 8 lists the preparers of the document.
- Chapter 9 is a list of references.
- Appendices. Of particular interest may be Appendix I. Monitoring and Communication Plan.
If you need further information regarding the Preliminary Draft VTPEIR the contact person is:
Board of Forestry and Fire Protection
Edith Hannigan, Board Analyst
Fax: (916) 653-0989